Sunday, February 13, 2011

Old Habits Die Hard

It’s not that my family and I are savages because we never make it to the dinner table before we’ve picked at every food cooking on the stove. We’re all guilty of standing up while we eat because we love food too much to sit down and wait for it to reach our plates. We make it to the dinner table eventually, but not before our fingers get a little dirty. My mom usually asks my sister or me to set the dinner table, and we only half set it before we’re back to dipping our fingers in the pots and pans. We don’t always care about what’s for dinner as long as we’re with each other. I knew this was true the time my sister made mashed cauliflower in high school as a substitute for mashed potatoes. I supported her adventurous side until I remembered how much she bullied me throughout my life and I said, “This sucks.” I got in trouble for using that phrase, but at least Lauren never made cauliflower again.

My perfect meal doesn’t take place at the dining room table of my house where the crystal chandelier hangs above the vanilla-scented-candle display and the silk red tablecloth. It’s in the kitchenette, where I’m surrounded by lime green walls with white trimming and framed, sepia-toned pictures of foods like hard eggs and onions. It’s the closest to abstract artwork that we own, and it looks out of place against the walls that haven’t been repainted since we moved to the south side of Chicago in 1991.

We’ve had the same kitchen since I was two years old. It’s the one room in the house that my mom never considers remodeling. My mom, dad, sister and I sat for dinner here every night of the week before my sister went to college two years before me. My sister and I fought each other for the brown bench against the wall because we didn’t like sitting in the black chairs that made us feel like grown ups. I can trace the start of our rocky relationship back to the nights we fought over that uncomfortable bench that neither of us enjoys anymore.

The dining room table was reserved for family barbecues, birthdays and other holidays. Or whenever my mom entertained guests like our parish priest Father Raftery, who I informed at dinner one night that my mom was making us strawberry daiquiris for dessert. I forgot to tell him they were virgin and my mother reprimanded me for that later. She also loved to entertain my grade school friends; our idea of a good time rarely coincides even today, but we both agreed that whenever my girlfriends came to the house for sleepovers, we would make homemade pizza. I was proud of her when she made it. It’s one of the few foods that has the power to make me angry once it fills my belly to the point where I can’t consume any more. I always regret eating more than I can stomach the next morning, but it’s worth it in the moment.

My idea of a perfect meal starts with who I spend my time with in the kitchen; my mom did most of the cooking when I was younger, a role my dad has assumed since the success of his breakfast taco experiments gave him the confidence he needs to cook more ambitious foods. I wanted to cook this meal with my mom because I didn’t spend much time with her in the kitchen as a kid; I was curious to know how to make her flan, her Mexican rice, her rice pudding, but she was a working mom who didn’t always have the patience to teach me the recipes when she got back from work. But pizza was one of the simplest recipes she had, so I almost always had a role in preparing it.

I traveled back home to Chicago this weekend to create my perfect meal with my parents. My mom and I shopped at Trader Joe’s—a quirky grocery store that serves a good selection of organic food where the cashiers wear Hawaiian shirts to work and say things like “Cowabunga dude!” They’re all about cutting costs and keeping it cool, according to my mom. We bought a box of organic spinach greens, a yellow onion, mushrooms, red bell peppers, tomatoes on the vine, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and BelGioioso fresh mozzarella cheese. We already had the dough ingredients, salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil at home.

I prepared the dough in the food processor before cooking the pizza toppings so it had time to rise (When I was younger, my mom would let the dough rise for several hours and sometimes we made it by hand.). I added warm water, yeast, and flour before we pulsed it and let it mix together and form a sticky white ball. I placed it in a glass bowl sprayed with non-stick spray, covered it with plastic wrap, and waited an hour or so until it was ready.

Next was the reason I loved pizza as a kid: the fumes that filled the kitchen from cooking the onion, spinach, peppers, and mushrooms, even though I didn’t allow them on my pizza at the time. Red bell pepper is one of those underappreciated foods that I misunderstood in grade school, but that I make all kinds of excuses to incorporate into my meals now. We placed the peppers on all four burners and let the flesh of the peppers grow a dark black jacket that we later stripped away along with the seeds inside. After those were finished, we cooked down the spinach, mushrooms, and onions.

We assembled everything that we wanted on the pizza in bowls before I rolled the dough, often a source of anxiety in grade school because I felt incompetent when my mom was forced to reroll what I thought was a good circle. An even greater challenge was transferring the dough onto the pizza paddle. Then we added the toppings; first the spinach, then the onions, mushrooms, sun-dried and vine tomatoes.

I still feel like a kid when I make pizza with my mom because I ask for her approval on the thickness of the dough, the amount of olive oil I should spread on it before I lay the toppings on, and if the amount of mozzarella cheese I crumble on top is excessive. Even if she tells me the crust is too thin, the way I like it, or if there’s too much cheese, I follow my own instincts.

I’m reminded of the beauty of cooking with color and the artistic value of food when I make pizza; it’s a painter’s palette of crimson, forest green, golden yellow, sepia, ivory. It proves that an ordinary dish can be beautiful. Even though my mother’s pizza is more sophisticated than it was in the years I did the five-minute walk to school from my front steps, old habits die hard. We still picked at the vegetables while they were cooking in the pan. We turned on the oven light every few minutes to watch the mozzarella cheese melt and blanket the vegetables. We ate standing up and made loud noises as we licked our fingers. We skipped the salad so we had room for the maximum amount of pizza. We ate strawberries for dessert because my mom never bought ice cream and cookies when I was a kid. We talked at the dinner table about my life in college that sometimes feels so removed from my life back home. We watched the last colors of the palette disappear before we submitted to the couch, holding our stomachs with both hands.

12 comments:

  1. Emily:

    I love the flow and direction of this piece--the memoir-esque elements of it are really beautiful and I think that you make them work for you. They lend a lot of impact, I think.

    There is a pretty distinct shift when you go from talking about childhood kitchens to talking about your meal again, and I wondered if there would be a way to make that transition a little smoother? -even cutting a little (& saving it for another piece, maybe?) might help to add more emphasis to your meal. I like that it vividly shows Why you chose to go home, though...

    Anyway: I liked this a lot and I think your descriptions are powerful and driving. The anecdotes add a really interesting tension~ you have a great draft, I think. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I really enjoyed reading this piece. I am simultaneously impressed and surprised that you were able to go home to cook your perfect meal with family--the idea wasn't even in my realm of thought. As Kelsey said, you did a good job of showing why it was important for you to go home and cook this perfect meal. I also agree that the transition between talking about your kitchens and jumping into the cooking of your meal was a bit rough. I really enjoy the specific memories/details you incorporate in your beginning, but I think that the five paragraphs we are given as setup might not all be necessary.

    It is obvious to the reader that your mother's presence when making her pizza recipe is important, but I think it was unclear who was actually sharing the meal with you. Another minor source of confusion: your repetition of "we" in the conclusion was strong, but first you ate standing up and then were at the dinner table discussing, and I'm not sure how this transition took place.

    One place where I wanted a bit more description was in the transferring of the pizza dough to the paddle. You say it is difficult, but then we don't see what the struggle is. Overall I think this is a great, very well-written, piece. Great job, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily

    I really appreciated your descriptions in the beginning about your family wanting to taste all the food before it even found its way to the dinner table—my family is the same way!

    You talk quite a bit about your relationship with your sister—but it is unclear if you actually share the meal with her. (Who is “we” in the last paragraph?). Your descriptions of food are fantastic! As are you details about the places in which you buy, cook, and consume the food for your perfect meal. I’m just curious how you got back home—car? Train? Did you get a ride or did someone pick you up? Was it stressful to plan?

    I like that you weave in memories of people and places between your descriptions of the actual meal—although sometimes the shifts are a tiny bit confusing. I really like the ending image—which combines both old habits and the present experience of eating the meal you created on your own. Both beginning and ending paragraphs beautifully parallel each other—I would just work on the order and transitions of the memories and actions in between. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really neat to read, Emily. I love how your pieces center around family. You mention your sister a lot at the beginning, but then she sort of disappears. Did she eat the meal with you?
    One other thing that confused me was the second to last paragraph, where you say you feel like a kid because you ask for your mother's approval. But you then go on to say that you follow your own instincts. I think you need to develop this idea a little more. It kind of ties into a theme you have going on throughout the piece about growing up.
    I really enjoyed reading this, you are off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this piece! I like the memoir aspects, how we get to know you a little more as well as your family. I was a little confused when you said that you were proud of your mom when she made pizza. I thought the ending was really perfect. It would be really cool if we could get even more of a sense of who your mom is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- this is a weird coincidence, I went home this weekend to make a meal for my parents too, and I made almost the exact same thing as you...!
    I love love loved the descriptions, so vivid! I really liked how you set up your relationship with your sister in the beginning, that character development made the story deeper -- but I was confused about whether or not she ate with you guys/where she went. Both the history and descriptions behind the kitchen setting is great too; I didn't think about going into detail about the components of the kitchen, it really added a great element.
    Amazing work so far Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing, nothing quite hits the spot like homemade pizza. Your descriptions and memoir like setting really made this piece just downright fun to read. I might have liked to see your mom detailed a bit more as a character, but overall, it's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily,
    You write beautifully. I think you did a great job using sensory details that made the reader feel right there with you in that tiny kitchenette.
    Your descriptions were wonderful as was all the background information. I think you did a great job of weaving stories or antidotes from your childhood throughout the piece which gave us a well rounded view of both the past and present Guzman kitchen. I agree with the others who mentioned it too, but I'd like to know if your sister shared the meal with you. If not, maybe you could bring her back in at the end in some other way like saying how you thought your pizza was better than her mashed cauliflowers, or perhaps just how you wished she could have been there to enjoy the meal with you.
    All in all, beautiful job. I love reading your work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the beginning of this piece: I'm so glad you didn't just jump into your perfect meal. It gives me the feeling that you think just about every meal eaten with your family is a perfect meal, which means a lot, I'm sure.
    Your connection of the homemade pizza of today with the ones of your childhood was a powerful and entertaining comparison, I thought it brought the past and present portions of your piece together really well.
    That being said, I would like to read more about your present-day pizza, you did a great job of describing it, but I'd like to know how it tasted.
    Fantastic job, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the care that you show toward your family and food as it relates to them. This was a great read, all the way through. I loved the theme of food as beautiful at the end.

    Small things: tighten up or clarify some small sentences, why does eating pizza make you angry? Also, in the last paragraph, you use a lot of parallel sentence structure (most of the sentences start with "we"). I think this works up to a certain point but I think you might have too much of it in the last paragraph. I'm getting the sense that you want to heighten the togetherness of the moment but try merging some of the sentences or changing their structure around a little.

    We also get a lot of background about the kitchen and the side aspects of the meal but I feel like we never get a really strong description of the pizza itself or what went into making it. Where did you get the ingredients? How did you prepare it? How did you eat it? What did you thing of the food itself?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily—
    I feel like I know all the women in your family now! We've heard so much about your grandma, your sister came to class and now we get to see your mother.

    You are a beautiful writer and you obviously really love your family. It shows in your writing. Your last paragraph where you compare the pizza making process to an artist's palette was lovely. And I love the idea of your family standing up and eating and digging in while it's still cooking. It shows us your family without directly telling us.

    I would've liked to see a bit more about the process. I liked when you described the red pepper. Maybe also show us the sauteeing of the veggies or what you and your mother were talking about when you made the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emily,

    I loved how much I could relate to your piece Emily. My Dad actually always did the cooking when I was younger, while my Mom could screw up Kraft mac n’ cheese! After she became less busy, she began to experiment and can make a few mean dishes now that I’m off to school!

    Your description of all the different places you use are fantastic. I loved that you went into detail about the different rooms of your house and this uses and well as your description of Trader Joes!

    I can’t think of much to criticize here Emily, all I can say is that I love what you’ve done so far and I can’t wait for the finished product!

    P.S. Way to make me look bad with the fresh ingredients and home-made dough! ;)

    ReplyDelete