Tuesday, January 25, 2011

In my grandma's kitchen

I remember the first time my grandma made gorditas, smashed in with a fork, drenched in the butter-like spread that my sister and I always longed to taste in the setting of our own kitchen. My grandma would mold the thick, circular pancake made of masa harina in her wrinkled palms—she knew exactly what size they should be for her big-bellied grandchildren—and then placed it on the heated pan situated on her outdated stovetop. It was such a simple food, not even a dish, but the experience was so gratifying because it was something my mom would never make at home. It’s plain masa-colored surface turned golden brown as she cooked it, making sure that the inside was warm and chewy, and that plenty of steam would flow from the top when she stabbed her fork into it.

My sister and I knew this was a rare food experience that we needed to savor while my mom wasn’t around. My grandma, on the other hand, was indifferent to our taking two extra spoonfuls of artificial-looking butter and smothering it into the crevices of the gordita. We’d wait for it to melt before we dug in. We felt like fugitives trying to escape the health-conscious ways of our one-time marathon-running mother and previous Miss Panamerican titleholder, a memory she dwells on often.

To anyone who doesn’t know my grandma, a smashed gordita soaked in butter sounds like the average junk most Mexican children crave. It’s a cheap food that she would make for the six kids she had to raise by herself on the east side of Chicago after she ran away from an abusive husband in Guadalajara. I had the chance to visit my estranged grandfather on his cattle farm big enough for a family of 15 during a family trip to Mexico when I was nine years old. He lived there by himself with two dogs whose visible rib cages said it all: he was a selfish man. He had the leathery and tired face of someone who worked in the sun all day and cared little for personal relationships. His closest relationships were with a bottle of tequila and his rusted, mud-stained pick-up truck. He didn’t know my name, but it didn’t phase me. My grandma never went on these trips with us to Mexico. The kid in me thought it was because she was still in love with my grandpa and wasn’t prepared to dig up all those old emotions. My sister was the mature one and thought she just hated him.

I’ve learned more about my grandma through her cooking than in the conversations we’ve had. She let her two-foot-tall steel pot do the talking—the one that was dented and scratched all over the silver surface from years of cooking caldos for the big family she created. Her servings of caldo de albóniga, caldo de camarón, pozole and menudo always reached the rim of the bowl, especially after the frequent and welcome addition of her Mexican rice—the envy of every Guzman who tries to replicate her recipe on holidays. Generous portions of food waited for my sister and me on her thick wooden table tainted with the aesthetically displeasing floral patterns on her cups and placemats. Florals have since become engrained in my head as an indication of old age.

But my grandma never seemed to age. She was a short, plump and proud Mexican woman with all the confidence I could hope to attain by her age. She was always in the kitchen, always wearing the same cotton thermal underwear tops and bottoms. Year after year, when I would visit her small home, I was expected to march straight to that wooden dinner table upon arrival where I’d be greeted with the foods she knew I loved. I didn’t know much about my grandma other than that she loved me enough to feed me my weight in foods with a chicken bouillon aftertaste. But I felt safe whenever I sat down to eat in her home. Everything she cooked, especially the gorditas, tasted better because I ate it in her kitchen, a modest space with warm carpeted floors, outdated brown tile and kitchenware she kept from her previous life in Mexico.

Her kitchen had all the reminders of family; family pictures from the early 90s taped onto her enamel icebox, their white edges visible all around from the rips and tears and all the hands they’ve passed through.

Her home reflected the most important values I grew up with. There was always something cooking in her house because she knew the way into her family’s hearts was through their stomachs. Once I was old enough to understand the vulgarity of swear words, she would yell in my direction, “Pinche cabrón! You better stop fighting with your sister or I’ll kick your ass!” I let out a childish giggle because I found her obscenities endearing. Later on, I would realize that what she meant to say was, “Without family, you have nothing.” And she was the best example of this, something I remembered once I stopped holding a grudge after she took out the paddle to slap my behind when I misbehaved. When she was up for the task, she would invite the family to her house to make tamales for Christmas. She made it easy for my six cousins and me to assemble the cornhusks and the masa—my favorite part of the tamal. We’d form an assembly line that stayed intact for just a few minutes, until we got the bright idea of sneaking upstairs to steal animal crackers, artificial fruit cups and Welch’s grape juice from her pantry. We were gluttons, but my grandma wouldn’t have it any other way. Food brought the family together, so the more the better.

These gorditas defined my childhood food experience: the longing for food I always wanted but could never have, and the embarrassment that came with eating authentic Mexican food when everybody else was eating Lunchables. Lunchtime at my grade school was what set the cool kids apart from the weirdos. And it was weird to bring cheese quesadillas and rice in a plastic lunch bag. I liked eating traditional Mexican food in the security of my own home, but it was never something I wanted to eat in the presence of my grade school girlfriends. The ends that were cut off of their PB&J sandwiches on white Wonder bread were the cherry on top of what I considered to be the epitome of the All-American Girl’s lunch.

I forgot about these silly concerns in my grandma’s kitchen, the one place within a reasonable distance where I wasn’t embarrassed to be Mexican, and where I was proud to be part of a family who shows their love through food. But it was also a reminder that I had a long way to go before I could be the person I was inside my grandma’s house outside of it as well.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, Emily. This piece is so rich. Culturally, emotionally, all of that. I'm so glad that you decided to share so much with your reader about your family's past, it really let us in to who your grandmother really was. I could be wrong, but from the sound of it, your grandmother didn't run away from her abusive husband, she left him. Did she take the family with her? I was surprised that he was still in the picture so many years later. How did you and your sister feel about your grandfather as children? How do you feel about him now?
    The first line of your second paragraph didn't make much sense to me, but maybe it's just me.
    However, I absolutely loved the last line of your 7th paragraph. "We were gluttons..." I feel like you're saying something larger here, and I think your piece would benefit from expanding this idea, carrying it throughout.
    Great job, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! You're right Alexis, I forgot to include my mom's name in that second paragraph. I fixed it. Thanks for noticing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this piece Emily!

    I really like how prevalent your grown-up self is in your memoir, it works well. I like when you said what she meant to say was "Without family, you have nothing." I totally could relate to you when you when you recall that your grandma never aged, that's how my grandma is too. There were so many moments when I could just feel how you felt. Great start! Have you thought about putting in some more pictures or hyperlinks? It might help the readers' understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soo neat Emiliy... you incorporate dense background details and still keep it moving forward. Some of those details get a little bit confusing, but that's all just little syntax stuff, I think.

    I almost wish you had stopped it before those last two paragraphs? The end seems more complete there? Or maybe the idea is just different than those last two? I don't know.

    The juxtaposition of your grandma's disciplinary, tough outside, and her love for her grandchildren and family is really evident, and speaks to your larger theme a lot. (More of this?) I feel like I learned a lot about you in reading this piece... the narrator was very informative and trustworthy and had a rich, interesting voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,
    What a rich, descriptive piece! This was excellent. I loved recognizing bits and pieces from your "Kitchen" freewrite that you shared aloud in class.
    I was really hoping to hear more about your marathon-running, panamerican title-holding mother. You give us a glimpse, but I think you could really run with this part. By incorporating more about her, I think you could offset the experience at your grandma's house nicely, and show the contrast between the food she makes and the food your mom makes.
    Also, toward the end of your memoir you bring up taking traditional mexican foods to school for lunch (a struggle we saw Bich deal with in Stealing Buddah's Dinner). I think this is a great piece to highlight, but I thought perhaps it deserved it's own story. It seems like there was a lot you could have said about this, but didn't (due to space, or the overall theme of your memoir?). I wonder what other people thought about it...
    All in all, great job! You should think about sharing this piece con tu abuela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely piece! I couldn't even really find that many "trouble spots in it"--except perhaps in the second to last paragraph. With the lunchroom/outsider experience, I think you should either blow it up or cut it out. Maybe tell us earlier on about how you didn't fit in food-wise with your peers? And/or, as Alaina suggested, give us more information about your mom and accentuate how she is different from your grandma (especially in regards to food).

    I love how you say you understood your grandmother through food--and you give such great descriptions of her cooking that readers, too, can get a glimpse of the person she really is. Wonderful job! And great theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily,

    LOVED your piece! I too feel that I know much more about you and where you come from after reading. I loved the very honest descriptions, this made you seem very trustworthy. Also adding to this was the amount of information and hurt you were willing to allow to an outsider (for example, details of your grandfather and his abusive nature). I’m glad that you gave this information though, because as we’ve seen lacking in some of the other pieces, we have a clear background of your grandmother. This is refreshing. Also, the part about the florals made me laugh - I feel your pain! My Grandma’s house is COVERED in floral everything, from the wallpaper to the couches to the plates.

    I can’t think of much to fix.. I did like the part about school lunch because it almost referenced Stealing Buddha's dinner, but I must agree that it could be seen as distracting from your real goal.

    Overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, this was a wonderful read. The details you used to describe your grandmother's gorditas were great. I had no clue what they were, and you gave me a clear image in my head (even without the picture, though I liked having it too) but without making it sound like I was just being given a recipe. It flowed so smoothly while still being informative. Nicely done!
    I also like how much background information you gave us about your grandmother. Developing her as a character was very important to the theme of your piece: the importance of family, and how food brings yours together.
    The lunchroom scene is very interesting, and I feel it can really add to what you are trying to say in your memoir. However, I think you need to expand on it a little more. As it is now, it took me out of the story.

    This was really great , well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily.

    Your voice is so endearing in this piece. I really appreciated how much you let us as readers into your life and the life of your family.

    We've been talking a lot about confessional poets in my poetry class, and how you choose what to reveal about yourself in your writing. You really brought place fully into the picture, but more than that you brought context and substance.

    This made me want to go hug your grandmother—as long as a paddle was nowhere in sight.

    I do agree with some of the previous comments that the lunchroom situation did digress from the rest of the story. I'd like to hear more about where you and your grandmother are now. I felt like we got to see a lot of you growing up and didn't really get to see you with her now— although we could hear your adult voice throughout. Maybe show the two of you now and how that has changed? Maybe talk about that dulce de leche anecdote you told in class about you trying to make it for your residents? I'm not sure if they would connect, but I think you said it was your grandma's recipe...

    Either way, this piece was a joy to read and I feel like I know you more intimately as a person after reading it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily, this is fantastic. I feel like the other readers have articulated my thoughts and comments very well, and although I am grateful for this, I don't want my comment to be a cop-out, or sound too redundant.

    I will say that I agree with those who noted that the part about the school lunches doesn't quite fit. I feel like we had heard this conflict before, and that it either needed to be blown up and incorporated throughout [a choice which would inevitably add conflict to an otherwise very heartwarming piece-though this may not be a bad thing] or else left out. The choice is really up to you, I think, and what you want out of this piece.

    You are an excellent writer, Emily, and that really comes out here. Your description of the gorditas in the beginning was really strong, and I found myself wanting more of this food description. Perhaps tell us more about some of the traditional Mexican dishes you are otherwise just listing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really succeed at not only drawing the reader in but also helping the reader to understand the importance of your grandma and how she changed your life. I like the balance between describing food and describing her, and i think you did a good job of that. it very much feels like a memoir because of such. Only thing i thought might need a little more work is the lunch room scene, perhaps just expand on that a little more. otherwise, quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like how deeply you dig into the psychology of your grandparents, and obviously your grandma to a larger extent. It's really hard to write about one's family and try to be as brutally honest as you can.

    This piece reminds me of Kelsey's in the sense that I see them more as "memory based essays" than narrations. I guess I'm a bit of a story junkie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily -- wow, this is really great. Your descriptive imagery throughout the entire first paragraph drew me in right away. Your word choice and descriptions are so vivid! My mouth was watering.
    I liked the Miss Panamerican detail about your mother, and the descriptions and sentiments about your grandfather; these really gave the piece richness and depth. You wove in so much culture and information about the past in a really artistic way, it flows well.
    I actually like the lunchroom scene, but I agree that maybe you could add something at the end about your relationship with your grandmother now. This is a wonderful draft, really great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful! You do such a great job describing everything thats relevant to your story. The dishes of food sound wonderful. You also do a great job of caringly and endearingly characterizing your grandparents and their different lifestyles and personalities. The pictures you have are great too.
    The last couple of paragraphs seem like they're opening up a whole new section. Maybe expand them more or cut them. Or even move them somewhere else in the piece.

    ReplyDelete